|Whitehall: source here|
The North Main neighborhood dates back to 1813 when the historic Whitehall residence was built facing Rutherford Rd. Built by Henry Middleton on land bought from Elias Earle, the house served as a summer residence until 1820 when it was sold to George W. Earle (nephew of Elias Earle). Henry Middleton was the son of Arthur Middleton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. He served as Governor of South Carolina from 1810 to 1812.